Author Topic: Google Play Services eating too much mobile data.  (Read 79 times)

johnbelley1

• View Profile
Google Play Services eating too much mobile data.
« on: April 14, 2018, 12:11:42 AM »
Hello everybody, I have recently bought my new Xiaomi Mi A1 and I have got a serious problem. Mi A1 is an Android One phone - has stock android. Currently I'm running on version 8.0 Oreo. My operator gave me 100 MB of free mobile data, yes, you heard right, only 100 MB. When I turn on my mobile data, Google Play Services eats a lot of them... I've reduced mobile data in the background for GP Services, but that didn't help, I've also disabled automatic updates on Google Play and disabled sync and disabled location with backups - none of these helped. Is there any way to reduce the usage of the mobile data? I really have small amount of them and only thing I use is Messenger, but these Google Play Services keep eating them a lot... Thank you.

PS: If I click on details of Google Play Services' mobile data usage, it shows that most of the data used "Misc"...

Noah.

• View Profile
Re: Google Play Services eating too much mobile data.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 12:12:02 AM »
Was it the first time you turned your data connection on in a long time? If yes then google play services update automatically to ensure smooth running of your phone.

johnbelley1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 12:12:15 AM »
No, it wasn't. I'm connected to the wifi almost always and I went out of my wifi connection for 15 mins and then it drained my data...
Do you think that those VPN apps can solve this? Can they reduce mobile data usage of system apps?

Noah.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 12:12:40 AM »
You may either use DATA EYE for specifying which apps should be allowed to use data or simply tweak the settings on your phone

johnbelley1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 12:13:06 AM »
Thanks for replying, I've already restricted the data usage of the GP Services, i think like 5 days ago, but it keeps using it... I just have no idea...
I guess root would solve this problem, but I dont wanna lose my warranty.

Noah.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 12:13:20 AM »
 I think data eye will definitely help you.....

johnbelley1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 12:13:31 AM »
I'm not sure if normal application downloaded from Google Play can restrict data usage of system apps like GP Services... for that I need root I guess. But I'll give it a try. Thanks

Noah.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 12:13:42 AM »
No it doesn't require root it just uses a in-app VPN service which restricts the app you want.

johnbelley1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 12:13:51 AM »
Okay good, I'll definitelly give it a try. Thanks.