Author Topic: Any way I can spoof android into thinking I have a different device?  (Read 226 times)

MarineForce

• View Profile
Basically, I want to make android think my galaxy tab s is an s7. Why? Because amazon's video app doesn't let you watch videos in hd, even though my device is perfectly capable. Research tells me that HD video is only supported on the galaxy s7/note 7 and above. When I go into the settings in the amazon video app, the best video quality option is only 0.56 gb per hour. That's nothing. In comparison, the app on my iphone se, which has a low resolution and can't fully take advantage of HD, has 5.8 GB per hour for the best option. That's 10x better quality! Amazon, for some reason has chosen to not support other devices, which is ridiculous.

So what I'm thinking about doing is spoofing android into thinking I have a different device. Is this possible? Would it even work? Netflix, by the way, supports full 1080p HD on my tablet.

Azulej

• View Profile
Re: Any way I can spoof android into thinking I have a different device?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 03:56:40 AM »
You'd have to modify your build.prop (requires root). But if you don't want to root, you could try using App Cloner to create a clone of the Amazon Video app but change the build.prop values just for it (in App Cloner, click on the app - Developer Options - Build Props

MarineForce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 03:57:08 AM »
You'd have to modify your build.prop (requires root). But if you don't want to root, you could try using App Cloner to create a clone of the Amazon Video app but change the build.prop values just for it (in App Cloner, click on the app - Developer Options - Build Props
I'm trying this right now but don't know what to put in "hardware" and "bootloader". I found the other values online from people who posted there build.prop values, but no sign of the two values I need. The cloned app just crashed when I use default values in their place.

Azulej

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 03:57:27 AM »
I'm trying this right now but don't know what to put in "hardware" and "bootloader". I found the other values online from people who posted there build.prop values, but no sign of the two values I need. The cloned app just crashed when I use default values in their place.
Ah, then it's likely using signature checking. You'd have to root your device then and edit your build.prop

MarineForce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 03:57:39 AM »
Ah, then it's likely using signature checking. You'd have to root your device then and edit your build.prop
The prime video app actually starts up and asks for my email and pass, after I input them it crashed. Root still needed? Or is it not worth trying?

Azulej

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 03:57:58 AM »
The prime video app actually starts up and asks for my email and pass, after I input them it crashed. Root still needed? Or is it not worth trying?

in that case, if you go into the Cloning Options for the app, there are a few settings you could try (try them one by one), eg

Increase Compatibility
    Ignore Crashes
    Interpreted mode
    Skip native libraries

AltirZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 03:58:15 AM »
Usually you can just modify your build.prop if you have root permission.

But I doubt the Amazon or netflix app can be fooled that easily.

Amal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 03:58:22 AM »
Does your tab support Widevine L1?

MarineForce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 03:58:53 AM »
Does your tab support Widevine L1?

I'm assuming it does because netflix plays in full HD. It's just an issue with the prime video app, they intentionally chose not to support my tablet.