Author Topic: "Phablet" phones: a fad or standard?  (Read 3443 times)

blumenkranz

• View Profile
"Phablet" phones: a fad or standard?
« on: June 01, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »
I'm sure we've all noticed the recent surge of bigger phones with five inch screens, commonly dubbed 'phablets' by some, a cross between tablet and phone. With Apple releasing the iPhone 6+, and Samsung's massive galaxy tablets, I'm wondering if and for how long the trend will continue. I personally like the idea myself, but I think five to six inches is pushing it for a screen size. Any further then that just strays into tablet territory. I personally can't wait to upgrade to the 6+ myself, a 4s screen is pretty hard to deal with and I find my hands cramping up often.

Do you think Apple and other major smartphone manufacturers will continue to release phones in these sizes? Perhaps smaller sizes will be phased out eventually and the bigger sizes become the norm. I eagerly await to see what sizes the eventual iPhone 6s will be in at the developer conference.

Arcos

• View Profile
Re: "Phablet" phones: a fad or standard?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 07:38:42 AM »
I think there is a market for most sizes, but phone manufacturers should stop at the 5.5' size, as that is already a bit too big. Maybe, if they develop bezel-less phones, they will increase the size yet again, thus they will be the same physical size, with 5.6-5.8' screens.
I think somewhere around 5' will be the standard, and these phablets will be the bigger exception as time goes on.

seatones

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 01:19:52 PM »
I would say they are definitely more than a fad, but once it reaches the 6 inch territory it's getting a little out of hand. 5 inch screens are really useful and a perfect size for that style of phone. It's essentially a small sized computer at the point which is where technology seems to be headed, and a lot more practical than an actual tablet. People seem to have no issue carrying around a phone of that size and I could see them becoming a lot more prevalent.

LilAnn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 05:28:05 PM »
I couldn't imagine it being around for long. There's a reason cell phones have gotten smaller and smaller every year. I remember the cell phones that were bigger than a satellite phone lol

KyubiChan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 09:51:10 PM »
I'm actually not sure weather it is a fad or not. I do think the large phones such as Galaxy Tab 4 and what not look cool, but when I first saw one of those phones I was thinking "is that a phone?" I have small hands so I feel I would look silly with a phablet. Today it feels everyone has tried making their phones smaller, however there does seem to be more of a demand for larger screens so people can do multiple things with their phone so that they would not need a computer.

nailah783

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 10:26:59 PM »
I don't like this trend, but my husband thinks its the best thing since the smartphone. He thinks that the phones are too small, and he hates how small the numbers are to push on the screen. I personally don't see it lasting that long.

nytegeek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 11:11:21 PM »
I couldn't imagine it being around for long. There's a reason cell phones have gotten smaller and smaller every year. I remember the cell phones that were bigger than a satellite phone lol

They got smaller for so many years because they were just phones, not smart phones. They didn't have any functions that required the space and the larger models were heavy and hard to carry. With the use of a touch screen and video functions there is no reason for them to start getting smaller again.

Nikkishea21

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 09:21:44 PM »
It seem that nowadays the trend is leaning more to 'the bigger the better'. It was somewhat outrageous when these big screens started hitting the market but now you see them so often, they fit right in and one cant help but to get used to it. It is the smaller screen folks, including myself who are left feeling incomplete.

nytegeek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 11:23:32 PM »
Feeling incomplete? That seems like a bit of an exaggeration to me. Also, considering the functionality of the devices I would hardly call the larger screens outrageous.

lgmini93

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 06:01:23 PM »
These phablet kind of phones of course are working as a tablet. It's big it's fast, long screen, watching videos, playing games etc. But when it comes to actually using it as a telephone , first of all it gets funny and also unconventional. I prefer having a usable phone and an also usable tablet. Two in one is not working at this combination for me.

nytegeek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 12:22:11 AM »
These phablet kind of phones of course are working as a tablet. It's big it's fast, long screen, watching videos, playing games etc. But when it comes to actually using it as a telephone , first of all it gets funny and also unconventional. I prefer having a usable phone and an also usable tablet. Two in one is not working at this combination for me.

Have you actually tried one? It isn't difficult to use a s a phone at all and the larger screen size makes the other stuff people try to do on a smartphone easier to accomplish.

djordjem87

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 04:19:47 AM »
I don't think they are fad because everything has its place on the market. As for the size a believe more than 5 inches and less than 6 inches would be just fine. In my opinion 5 inch is big even for a mobile phone but they are being used like pocket PC so i guess they have the good reason for making them like that. Another thing is that the market is dictating everything so as long people pay money for these, nothing will change.

nytegeek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
I'm hard pressed to call a trend towards something more useful a fad. It seems a bit reductive to me. There is a lot more going on with the move to larger phones then fad chasing.

mayasupernova

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 05:50:45 AM »
I am sure they will not just stop there. We will see bigger screens I am sure, more and more as the technology progresses. It will probably end up with people loving all this, wanting more, or else, the whole thing can turn upside down or better say to turn back in time, so that people will start demanding, or asking for smaller screens eventually. Well, time will just tell.
As for me I love my android, Samsung Galaxy S4 size. It serves me well, and if it were bigger, I am not sure I would want to carry it around.

clair02

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 10:20:28 AM »
I am sure they will not just stop there. We will see bigger screens I am sure, more and more as the technology progresses. It will probably end up with people loving all this, wanting more, or else, the whole thing can turn upside down or better say to turn back in time, so that people will start demanding, or asking for smaller screens eventually. Well, time will just tell.
As for me I love my android, Samsung Galaxy S4 size. It serves me well, and if it were bigger, I am not sure I would want to carry it around.
I tend to agree with you that the growing screen sizes will probably progress up to a point where people now start demanding smaller ones, and the whole cycle will then start again.