Author Topic: Android owns 81% of all smartphone shipments worldwide, iOS lacks behind  (Read 5933 times)

briannagodess

• View Profile
Re: Android owns 81% of all smartphone shipments worldwide, iOS lacks behind
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 04:40:10 PM »
I also think that this is misleading. The statistics should have made a subsection for each brand of android phone like Samsung, LG etc. IOS comprises only iPhones with regards to phones. So yes, their percent might seem small but it is actually huge when you compare it to the individual sale of each phone. Samsung might be their greatest contender though.

nytegeek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 01:27:35 AM »
The reason iOS lags behind is the closed and restricted nature in which it is maintained and used. That said as an OS I still think Android is superior. Even if iOS was opened up to competing devices I think it would lag behind.

tiffaninichole

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 11:53:14 PM »
Wow. I would have thought that gap would be a lot smaller. Actually, I expected Apple to be in the lead. As an Android user, it seems like companies always cater to those who have iPhones and iPads while leaving us droid users in the dust. I thought Apple was leading the race, so this is pretty surprising.

nytegeek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 12:19:36 AM »
Wow. I would have thought that gap would be a lot smaller. Actually, I expected Apple to be in the lead. As an Android user, it seems like companies always cater to those who have iPhones and iPads while leaving us droid users in the dust. I thought Apple was leading the race, so this is pretty surprising.

It might be a good idea to read the other replies to the topic.

djordjem87

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 04:29:20 AM »
This is simply because android platform is being used by majority of phones sold. Many different models and many companies. Others are just strictly connected with one brand and model so it is just normal to see these numbers. I read in a post above that people using android cannot buy apps. I really do not understand that because we can surely do that. I bought an app recently and it was something i needed. OK, it was not recently but i bought one. A lot of free though but still there is an option of buying.

nytegeek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 05:09:53 PM »

The vast majority of apps available that are popular or of any real use are made for both platforms, but there are clearly more for Android than iOS. Sometimes a developer may release it for one platform before the other, but that isn't the same as not being available.

thash1979

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »
I agree, Apple makes more tech savy phones and devices. I personally know more people that own an iPhone or iPad verses Android users. Apple devices are expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you are on a budget or want more options in phones, Android would be the way to go. More looks, more options, more devices. Apple on the other hand, has spent years creating and perfecting their one type of phone.

summertime

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 03:25:43 PM »
There are an astounding number of Android products on the market, so this isn't very surprising news. What is surprising is that iOS continues to do so well despite providing absolutely no innovations in the past five years ...

nytegeek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 04:53:21 PM »
There are an astounding number of Android products on the market, so this isn't very surprising news. What is surprising is that iOS continues to do so well despite providing absolutely no innovations in the past five years ...

Considering that iOS and Android are essentially derived from the same operating system and that the innovation comes in the area of hardware I'm not sure that you have a point.

pwarbi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 08:22:45 AM »
I have been an iOS user in the past but switched to Android a number of years ago now and don't have any complaints or plans to switch back.

While I guess it's still true that a lot of people still consider Apple and the iPhone to be a premium device, only used by the world's rich and famous, and us android users are just poor, working-class souls, it makes me wonder why people still think that way, and to me just shows how blinkered and shallow they really are.

ctfranklin28

• View Profile
This is a little bit misleading. I mean, of course android is going to have more market share, simply because it's offered on way more devices, at all price points. Apple devices are the only ones using IOS, and it's geared towards the richer class (or at least people who want to seem like they belong in the upper class). More important numbers are the sales numbers and the profit margins. Now, I can't speak for the sales revenue, but Apple has a MUCH larger profit margin for sure.

In any case, Apple is well on track to be a trillion dollar company in the next decade, so they're not exactly hurting.
You brought out some really great points in your post. As you discussed, you have to consider a lot of things when you complete a survey like that: availability, pricing, and profit. The goal of Android, like Google, is to be everywhere. The goal of Apple is to be exclusive.  E

pwarbi

• View Profile
To say that the goal of android is to be everywhere is another way of saying they want to be the most popular, and looking at the figures then that's exactly what they achieved.

The 'Apple exclusivity' argument for me I'd getting a little old now, and its just seemed to be used as an excuse for why their sales are beginning to fall.

nytegeek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I have used an iPhone before. I wasn't impressed enough to upgrade and if it hadn't been free I would have never gotten one. I just switched from a Lumia 640 Windows Phone to an android device with decent hardware and I'm happy about it. Having used the three operating systems on similar hardware I like Android the best, but a device isn't automatically going to be better because of the OS.

pwarbi

• View Profile
Your right when you say that a decent operating system doesn't necessarily mean that the actual handset is going to be any good, but it certainly helps.

As far as the iPhone goes, I think on looks and actual style  and functions of the device, its the best on the market but for me the OS let's it down.

Combine the two, the iPhone handset but with the Android OS, and you'd have the perfect smartphone in my opinion.