Author Topic: Is it possible to charge battery & use USB with OTG at the same time?  (Read 167 times)

Kylo

• View Profile
Hi all,

so I have got a Galaxy S4 at the moment, and I can plug in USB Sticks/USB Devices using an USB OTG Cable. Sadly, I can not charge battery while using the USB Hub. My question is: Do you guys know any way to charge while using USB devices, although? I heard about that you could destroy your battery whille charging via USB. Will this happen with Galaxy s4? & I am going to get a new mobile phone soon, which probably gonna be a galaxy S8. Will it work with that also to charge via USB without any problems?

Creed

• View Profile
Re: Is it possible to charge battery & use USB with OTG at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 07:02:00 AM »
The USB-OTG spec technically supports this, but most devices do not. You will typically need a custom kernel in order to enable this. I also don't know of any "reputable" manufacturers that a make a cable for this. I found this Y cable which has mixed reviews.

The Galaxy S8 with USB-C is better off though. You can use a hub like this to charge and use USB devices at the same time (and even output to HDMI if you want). Note that the S8 will only charge at the standard 5V/1.6A with a hub like this. Fast charging will not work.

Kylo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 07:02:16 AM »
The USB-OTG spec technically supports this, but most devices do not. You will typically need a custom kernel in order to enable this. I also don't know of any "reputable" manufacturers that a make a cable for this. I found this Y cable which has mixed reviews.

The Galaxy S8 with USB-C is better off though. You can use a hub like this to charge and use USB devices at the same time (and even output to HDMI if you want). Note that the S8 will only charge at the standard 5V/1.6A with a hub like this. Fast charging will not work.

Thanks for the Info! Custom Kernel = rolted Device?

Creed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:02:43 AM »

Thanks for the Info! Custom Kernel = rolted Device?
Technically it means having an unlocked bootloader, but in "layman's terms", yes a rooted device.

Kylo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 07:02:59 AM »
And does S8 support the Hub without custom Kernel?

Creed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 07:03:10 AM »
And does S8 support the Hub without custom Kernel?
Yup, it will just work out of the box.

Kylo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 07:03:26 AM »
alright thanks!

Eason

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 07:04:03 AM »
Well you could use wireless charging ?

Kylo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 07:05:13 AM »
Well you could use wireless charging ?
I would like to use it also when I am not at home. So I thought about charging via Powerbank...

johnbelley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 07:06:25 AM »
apart from the lacking support for usb otg charging i've found the only real way around this is via wireless charging on select samsung models with removeable backplates like the s4 and devices with it built in. you can use the wireless charging and an otg cable on a few models and a few of the newer power banks support wireless charging so you can use usb on the go while on the go and charge at the same time.

c4cyber

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 03:06:56 PM »
No there is no such things. I often charge my phone with usb charging while in office and so far, my phone is working fine. I used to charge my xperia and samsung. So don't worry.