Author Topic: S7 edge or S8  (Read 273 times)

Kylo

• View Profile
S7 edge or S8
« on: April 24, 2018, 07:07:31 AM »
Is it worth more to buy s7 edge for the specs and lower price or to buy s8 for specs and the chance to have it run for 4 years?

Creed

• View Profile
Re: S7 edge or S8
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 07:07:58 AM »
Check them out in store. I regret getting the S8 I can't get used to the "edges". To (try and) answer your question, the S7 is still really fast my wife has one and I don't really notice any differences in normal day to day tasks. Maybe some games might suffer but even a S6 my son uses can still play all or at least most games. So if you are tight for cash a S7 is still pretty good.

Kylo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 07:08:17 AM »
Check them out in store. I regret getting the S8 I can't get used to the "edges". To (try and) answer your question, the S7 is still really fast my wife has one and I don't really notice any differences in normal day to day tasks. Maybe some games might suffer but even a S6 my son uses can still play all or at least most games. So if you are tight for cash a S7 is still pretty good.
I  would like the option that would hold a couple of years of usage, does this affect the choice in any way

Creed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:08:34 AM »
The display technology from the s7 to s9 has not changed besides the aesthetic edge to edge. The only thing people are saying is the s9 is a tad bit brighter....most people use auto-brightness anyway because if you have 100 percent brightness 24/7 you'll get burn in.

johnbelley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 07:09:11 AM »
That depends on your definition I suppose. There is little change it will receive the latest greatest android. But you have to ask yourself if that is what you are looking for. If I didn't get the S8 I would've still been extremely happy with my S6.

Eason

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 07:09:28 AM »
just heads up, a phone that's 4 years old will have significant battery degradation. It's first noticeable at around 1.5 years. After about 4, the battery could hold as low as 50% - 60% of it's original capacity (just an educated guess, based on past experiences).

If longevity is your primary concern, you might want to consider a phone with removable batteries, like the LG V20.

Kylo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 07:09:48 AM »
ust heads up, a phone that's 4 years old will have significant battery degradation. It's first noticeable at around 1.5 years. After about 4, the battery could hold as low as 50% - 60% of it's original capacity (just an educated guess, based on past experiences).

If longevity is your primary concern, you might want to consider a phone with removable batteries, like the LG V20.
Can you replace the battery or is the problem coming from somewhere else?

Eason

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 07:10:52 AM »
ust heads up, a phone that's 4 years old will have significant battery degradation. It's first noticeable at around 1.5 years. After about 4, the battery could hold as low as 50% - 60% of it's original capacity (just an educated guess, based on past experiences).

Can you replace the battery or is the problem coming from somewhere else?
The Galaxy S8 is completely sealed, unlike previous generations of Galaxy devices, such as the S3 or S4. Those used to have a plastic backing that could easily be removed by hand. Nowadays, most phones are glued together.

You can check out iFixit's teardown tutorial for more info (I don't work for them, just know they're specialized in the repair field)

audiveery

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 11:27:29 AM »
Check them out in store. I regret getting the S8 I can't get used to the "edges". To (happy wheels) answer your question, the S7 is still really fast my wife has one and I don't really notice any differences in normal day to day tasks. Maybe some games might suffer but even a S6 my son uses can still play all or at least most games. So if you are tight for cash a S7 is still pretty good.
I  would like the option that would hold a couple of years of usage, does this affect the choice in any way

Galaxy S8  is a beautiful phone with great optimism of Samsung makes the top and bottom edges become very thin, so even though the 6.2 inch screen is still the same size as the S7 Edge with 5.5 inch screen. In addition, the S8 also has a curved 2-sided curved screen and soft curved four-corner, different from the screen of the S7 Edge.

c4cyber

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 02:30:56 PM »
I would say that S8 is more about cosmetic changes, with a few nice additional features over the S7, it could be worth picking up latest samsung. If you are into new phone, you can grab Samsung latest flagship phone around 450.